Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Criticism Resolved


The Dream:
I am preparing the design for a square in a new city, putting in trees and plants along the border. I enjoy the project, which is part of a new and exciting cityscape: a beautiful urban place full of art and park-like features. There’s an accidental mound of soil in one of the planting areas.

The director of the project comes by, just as I feel the work is “coming together,” and he is very displeased because the design lacks one of his specifications. He wants a mound, partially covered in bark, with a tree at its center. I return his anger, very annoyed that he isn’t pleased and that he isn’t looking at the over-all design. “Well!” I storm “I’m not finished, am I?” As soon as I’ve said it I feel anxious about my blunt reaction. Then I notice the accidental mound already in the design and realize I can use that space to do what the director wants without having to change anything.

I am relieved. I pretend I had kept his brief in mind as I worked, but I realize it’s just luck that it has turned out to have the feature he had asked for.

Interpretation: Here I’m dealing with my internalized critical father. As a child I often felt he enjoyed pointing out my mistakes. My anger about this surfaces in the dream, but I also realize that I am able to accommodate his expectations without actually changing the way I do things.

1 comment:

  1. I am instantly reminded of Carl Jung's Liverpool dream, where he sees an island of light in the middle of dreary Liverpool. In the middle of an island is a lit magnolia tree. He describes that, in the dream, the city of Liverpool is arranged radially around a square, and that it is dark and dreary except for this island of beauty. There seems to be so many similarities with this dream and his-in my dream, I am creating that island of inner beauty. Emily

    ReplyDelete