Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Crystal Vase


This dream was inspired by a conversation with an artist friend. Jane suggested a group of us make art pieces based on clothing that couldn’t be worn.

The Dream: I am wearing a Waterford crystal vase.

Interpretation: I sent the dream to Jane, knowing she would find it as amusing as I did. Here is her interpretation, written in the first person because that’s the polite way to talk about someone else’s dream: “I am transparent. That the crystal is Waterford and that vases typically hold water suggest the unconscious. I am beautiful all over but strong and fragile too. I sing when wet fingers spin on the rim. The "singing" shows how I process life through my spirit and intelligence, my hands and senses.”

Now you can see why I’m so fond of Jane.

3 comments:

  1. In my dream the crystal both amplifies the light and partially conceals my form. It shrouds my identity enough to indicate that this could be anyone of us. We have light around us that is carved and shaped by our culture and desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rachel, for the poetic way you made your insightful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!
    Last night I dreamt I had 4 oval crystal Waterford vases... Silver plate underneath . Ty were in shipping boxes when I first got them

    ReplyDelete